What is an Image Consultant?
Image Consultants are career consultants and soft skills trainers who help people create an impressive persona so that they can express themselves in a distinguished way.
Image Consulting is the profession of guiding, mentoring, educating and training people on managing their appearance- clothing, grooming, body language and etiquette to create positive first impressions to get more opportunities in life and training them on soft skills to perform better when these opportunities present themselves.
What does an Image Consultant Do?
● Offers personal consultation and group training services based on the needs of the client or organization.
● Helps clients improve their appearance for both personal and professional purposes based on their body shape, personal style, etc.
● Assists, trains and mentor individuals and groups to improve their grooming, body language, etiquette and soft skills.
● Provides personal shopping and styling services for clients to look their best while communicating the right messages via their clothing and attire.
Types of Image Consultant:
● Fashion and Wardrobe Consultants-
Give advice on what clothing styles, colors, designs, accessories and materials work best to flatter an individual’s physique, male or female. These consultants work with individuals, business professionals or anyone looking to improve their appearance.
● Corporate-Executive Image Consultants-
Focus more on working with clients and business sectors. They help executives and business professionals look, act and present themselves in a way that makes the most positive impression. They help clients to prepare presentations, speeches, media and celebrity appearances, corporate and social events.
● Leadership Training Consultants-
Specialize in leadership training for business, corporations and academic institutions. These image consultants do more lectures, workshops and seminars.
Working Hours and Environment:
The majority of image consultants do their administrative work from home and travel to visit their clients at their home or work. Many image consultants travel outside their region to work with clients and perform seminars on training.
Working hours as an image consultant vary, depending on if they are part-time or full-time. As an image consultant, you are operating your own business so setting a schedule is highly dependent on personal work style.
Knowledge Areas That Need to be acquired:
● Knowledgeable about Fashion, with a good sense for color.
● Body, Line and Proportion Theory
● Color Theory
● Etiquette Education
● Public Speaking
● Good Interpersonal Skills
● Strong communication skills
● People-person skills
● Digital Marketing
● Social Media Marketing
● General Accounting
● Copywriting and Blogging
● Website and Graphic Design
● The ability to easily understand client’s needs and construct action plans to fulfill those needs.
● Good presenters who enjoy speaking to an audience
● Imaginative, with an eye for detail
Detailed Work Activities:
●Image consulting is a service industry, a field of work wherein Image Consultants help clients to improve for personal or professional reasons.
●Image consulting is a professional field wherein clients hire an Image Consultant to evaluate, improve, enhance, update or upgrade their appearance to ensure that their image is consistent or congruent with their personal, social and professional roles and goals with what they want to accomplish in life.
● Image Consulting is the active process of learning about the individual or group client, then passing Image information to the client, then applying that information to the client to achieve a positive visible change or transformation.
● Image Consultants empower clients to reflect or project the confidence and competence that comes from an authentic, appropriate and attractive appearance for any personal, social or professional situation.
● Approachable, cheerful, encouraging and tactful
● Confident working on Budgets
● Sense of style
● Personal Style Definition
● Self-assured and able to inspire confidence
● Self-motivated and able to work on their own
Education and Training
There are no set entry qualifications. Some entrants may have a vocational qualification such as an NVQ, a BTEC Diploma, a higher National Diploma/Certificate (HND/HNC), a foundation degree or a degree. Useful subjects include business studies, beauty therapy, cosmetic science, sales and marketing.
From 2016 to 2026 the BLS (bureau of labor statistics) expects public relations specialists will experience 9% job growth rate.
Image Consultants will be paid based on their assignments. Consultants who are at initial stages of their career charge anywhere around INR 7,500 – 15,000 per one-day Intervention.
Senior Consultants charge INR 25,000- 50,000 per Intervention or more based on the complexity of the assignment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need an Image Consultant?
If you’re in the field that demands a powerful, smooth and professional image, or if you want to hit the fast-track running, you might want to consider hiring an image consultant.
Is Image consulting a good career?
As an Image Consultant, you can give people advice that will help them achieve what they want- whether it is to get a new job, to make a good impression or simply to feel good about themselves.
How much do image consultants charge in India?
Image Consultants charge anywhere between Rs.1500 to RS.10, 000 per hour for personal consultation work.
What is the difference between a personal stylist and an image consultant?
An image consultant can be both stylist and a personal shopper. However, an image consultant will sit with you before shopping, analyze your color and body proportions, and provide you a color palette, do a style analysis, predict your wardrobe patterns, shopping habits, create and then suggest the right outfit.