Fire service also known as fire protection district, fire authority, or fire and rescue service is an organization that primarily provides fire fighting service but it may provide other services such as medical response services, technical rescue services and other specialized services for a specific geographic area. Fire departments are most commonly a public organization which operates within a municipality, country, state, nation, or special district. Private and specialist firefighting organizations also exist, such as those at airports or for expensive homes.
WHAT DOES FIRE SERVICE DO?
Firefighters respond to fires, accidents and other incidents where there are risks to life and property. Full-time firefighters help protect the public in emergency situations. They respond to a wide variety of calls: as well as fires, they assist at car crashes, chemical spills, flooding and water rescue.
To make a career in fire service pursuing studies in science is must.
Candidates must need basic high school education for being hired in this field.
For people who are new intensive training programs are held and they must try and indulge in that
You can also do a diploma in Fire Tech Safety Management.
Mechanical/ Civil/ Electrical/ Chemical/ Electronics engineers do have an added advantage
For an easy entry to the field, one can try taking an internship program with the company; this can come along as you pursue college.
Along with some with some pre-employment written exams, physical as well as medical exams, people looking forward to making their career in fire service can earn certificates as emergency medical technicians (EMT). Majority of the fire department do call for the EMT certificate.
Some of the institutes which offer good fire service course include:
1. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF DISASTER MANAGEMENT (1123702432)
2. NATIONAL FIRE SERVICE COLLEGE IN NAGPUR (0712 2982225)
3. DELHI COLLEGE OF FIRE AND SAFETY ENGINEERING (011 2834 4240)
4. COLLEGE OF FIRE ENGINEERING AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT (9923388555)
5. IIPHS COLLEGE OF FIRE AND SAFETY ENGINEERING (082207 30222)
One can hold many posts like these after doing service studies
1. Safety officer
2. Safety supervisor
3. Safety warden
4. Safety checker
5. Safety instructor
6. Safety engineer
7. HSE officer
8. Fire alarm technician
9. Safety auditor
● Integrity, composure and a reassuring manner
● Patience, understanding and sensitivity
● Sound judgement, courage, decisiveness, quick reactions and the ability to stay calm in difficult circumstances
● An interest in promoting community safety, education and risk prevention
● Confidence and resilience
● Adaptability and flexibility
● The ability to follow instruction
● The ability to work as part of a team
There are different posts and designations in the fire service department. So the pay scale of different levels of officer is different.
Station fire officer
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Do firefighters need math?
ANS: within the fire service, there are many opportunities to use math. The first one that comes to mind is calculating pump pressure to determine PSI (pounds per square inch). Basic math skills, like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, are necessary.
2. How many days a week do firefighters work?
ANS: Fire fighters generally work in long shifts that include weekends and holidays. These shifts might differ from one city to another. The two most common types of shift for firefighters are 24 hours on followed by 48 hours off, or 10 to 12 hour shifts for three to four days in a row.
Related Videos To Watch